Flying with CBD products? No problem!
If you’re a CBD user, whether it’s tinctures, capsules, drinks, topicals or even skin care, I bet you have been nervous about boarding an airplane with your products. We’ve all seen the news. And, in the past, there have been people stopped at security for trying to bring CBD products on their flight. Thankfully there’s no need to worry about it anymore!
Hooray! You can bring CBD on a Plane!
Just recently the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has added to their “What can I bring” list, “*Products/medications that contain hemp-derived CBD or are approved by the FDA”. These products are deemed legal to fly with as long as they are produced within the regulations defined by the law. Fortunately, the USA recently passed the 2018 Farm Bill making it legal to carry CBD, derived from hemp, onto an airplane. But, beware:
- CBD oil derived from marijuana is illegal.
- You must verify the THC content of your products, especially CBD oils, for compliance.
- Products containing more than 0.3% of THC are illegal as.
- These new rules only pertain to Domestic flights.
- Travel sized products must be 3.4 ounces or less when placed in your carry-on bag.
What about International flights?
If you are planning on taking CBD with you on an International flight it may be a bit more complicated. While some countries have no issue, others have very strict laws against it.
Believe it or not, there are still some countries that are willing to enforce the death penalty for carrying even small amounts of substances that they deem illegal. And, security checks tend to be stricter when traveling internationally. You may want to just leave your products at home to avoid a travel nightmare. The last thing you want to do is end up detained or in jail so take every precaution. And if you must take your CBD products, do your research!
Other things you need to know about flying with CBD.
Remember, security agents, aren’t diligently looking for your CBD products. They are there to ensure the safety of all passengers and to keep the airports safe. But, because this is all so new, you may want to take any guesswork out of traveling with CBD and help the agents out.
- Be prepared to answer any questions that could arise.
- Keep your products in the original packaging with labels intact.
- Bring any documentation you may have to prove your CBD is hemp derived, not marijuana-derived.
- Consider packing your CBD products in your carry-on bag. If you pack your CBD in your checked luggage, it may be removed due to lack of explanation or understanding by TSA. They do thoroughly scrutinize checked luggage.
Once you have successfully made it through security it’s time for some CBD! Travelling, especially flying, can be stressful. CBD may help take the edge off and allow you to relax and enjoy your flight. If you’re using CBD oil, add a few drops to your water or other in-flight beverage and enjoy! Safe travels!