It’s the most wonderful time of the year for sure. But, for some it’s also the most stressful. Did you know that stress can impact your appearance? It’s true. This year let’s try to rest, relax and enjoy the holidays.
The holiday season from November to January is a time when families come together to celebrate, give thanks, exchange gifts & prepare their favorite family meals. It sounds simple enough, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, it’s not. This time also comes with stress, stress and more stress. There’s always so much to do and never enough time to do it. Fighting for a parking spot, jam packed stores, holiday cards to send and that endless search for the perfect gift can take a toll. And with all of the holiday parties we have to attend, looking your best can be challenging.
Does stress really affect your appearance? Yes. Is it possible to achieve healthy-looking, stress free skin this time of year? Absolutely!
When it comes to your overall appearance, this is the perfect time to focus on a little relaxation and self-pampering – all in the name of beauty of course.
When you’re feeling stressed on the inside, it shows on the outside. Too much stress can lead to:
- Dry skin
- Under eye bags & dark circles
- Skin irritations and rashes
- Fine lines & wrinkles
- Eczema and psoriasis flare ups
- Hair loss
What can you do to Banish Holiday Stress?
Try to Chill Out!
It may seem impossible to relax during the hectic holiday season, but it’s a must in the name of beauty. Stress doesn’t just wreak havoc on your appearance it also affects your overall wellness, including your heart, digestion, weight, memory & sleep. When it comes to your skin, stress can trigger breakouts and cause dehydration, which can lead to fine lines and wrinkles. Stress can cause hormonal imbalances and affect your skin’s barrier function, which could potentially affect your immune system. And all of this stress can even affect your hair. If you aren’t interested in turning gray or experiencing hair loss over the holidays, then it’s time to unwind.
To help you relax, try to find a little “me” time. If you can find just 5 minutes a day to do a little meditation, it will serve you well. Just by entering into a relaxed, peaceful state you can release chemicals into your body that will help to counter the stress hormones you are creating. It’s so simple.
- Find your “happy place.” A quiet spot removed from the holiday chaos.
- Close your eyes, sit up straight and tall, and place your hands in your lap.
- Slowly begin to breathe. Inhale through your nose until your lungs are filled, and then slowly exhale through your mouth. Deep breathing will help to slow your heart rate and inspire a feeling of calm. It will also help to lower your blood pressure.
- If you can dedicate more than five minutes, do it. A few extra minutes out of your day will only help to further alleviate your stress levels.
Managing stress can be tough You need to take advantage of every opportunity to get our stress levels under control.
A few easy Stress Reducers
- Take a warm bubble bath, light some candles and you’ve got instant peace of mind.
- Pamper yourself! Indulge in an all over body scrub, a moisturizing face mask and treat yourself to a mani-pedi.
- Practice yoga to help calm the mind & body.
- Listen to music (preferably while soaking in the tub).
- Shop online. This is a huge time and stress reducer during the holidays.
- Watch a movie or read a book.
- Take a brisk walk around the neighborhood. Maybe even stop into a neighbors house for a cocktail.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
Once you’ve mastered the art of relaxing, you’ll notice a change in your appearance and your demeanor. There’s no better way to go into the holiday season then looking and feeling your absolute best!